‘BAT must be held financially responsible for the damage it causes’ – ASH Blog #makethempay
This Wednesday (25th April) BAT is hosting its Annual General Meeting in London. In line with the “Polluter Pays Principle” ASH is calling on the Government and political leaders to hold Big Tobacco financially responsible for the damage it causes. We must #MakeThemPay.
According to the British Medical Journal, in 2012 BAT was responsible for $152 billion of the $1.4 trillion dollar cost that smoking causes the world economy, based on their 11% share of the global market.
To read the full ASH blog click here
ASH are also asking that over the next two weeks, interested parties use the hashtag #MakeThemPay to communicate the different ways the Tobacco Industry can take financial responsibility for the damage they cause. They suggest that you can:
· Share your stories about how tobacco has affected you and tag them with #MakeThemPay.
· Take photos of smoking related litter or other pollution and share them on social media with the tag #MakeThemPay.
· Help make the campaign visual — share images and photos of the impact tobacco has had on you or those around you.
· and even contact BAT directly and tell it that it must take financial responsibility for the harm its business causes. Email or tweet at the press office using the hashtag #MakeThemPay, or phone its offices on 020 7845 1000. If you’re outside the UK you can find a list of country specific contacts here.
· Share this story with your networks and encourage them to do the same.
« Back to news